List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Collaborative Editing in Koffice
From:       Ajay Pratap Singh Pundhir <pundhir.ajay () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-22 5:49:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello,

I am Ajay Pratap Singh. I am M.Tech student at IIIT Bangalore, INDIA. I
wants to add collaborative editing feature in Koffice. I have done some
background study on what is collaborative editing and what are the
challenges. I need your feedback and suggestions in designing architecture
for that. Following are the details:

*Use Case Targeted:*
          Real Time collaborative editing among two or more users of
koffice. For starting I am targeting Kword now which later can be
          extended to other applications of koffice.
*
Network Connectivity:*
           As the first step I am Targeting peer to peer network connection
over TCP client server architecture. One client who will initiate the
           session will act as server  ( publisher) and rest all clients
will work as subscriber.
           Later we can go with XMPP.

*How It will work:*
          1. First the session initiator will start collaborative session
and open a document for editing.
          2. He will be asked to setup password for protection of that
document.
          3. Later clients can join session.
          4. For that he will enter IP address and port number of the
server.
          5. While joining session, clients will get list of all the users
present in that session and list of shared documents.
          6. Client can request for opening a document. For that he has to
enter the password for that document.
          7. After authentication file will be transferred to the client.
and server will start sending updates to that client.
          8. All the changes done by clients will be first informed the
server, who will publish these changes in the session so that all clients
will
              get update notification.

Kindly send me your valuable feedback and suggestions.

With Regards--
Ajay Pratap Singh Pundhir
M.Tech
International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore.