List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Missing ODF features -- bugs or wishes
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2010-03-27 5:43:53

On Thursday 25 March 2010 16:18:10 Cyrille Berger wrote:

> > Keeping this list close to KOffice is not an advantage as long as that
> > means new people have to come to KOffice or KDE to get rights.
>
> I disagree, I don't want them to be a "different" community, a different
> set of  people in the KOffice/KDE community, maybe. But I want them to
> welcome them as part of the KOffice community. I think we should follow
> KDE's example here, the extragear concept as proven to be very successfull
> for KDE (just see that amarok, digikam and k3b are besides KDE the most
> awarded applications [2]), it is applications that are not part of SC, but
> that are part of KDE, using KDE infrastructure.

I agree with Cyrille and think that using exiting infrastructure makes it much
simpler for everybody. So I really like the idea of having an extra product
where features which are not likely to be implemented by any of the existing
developers can be moved to. I don't think we should say the feature will never
be included if there is someone that implements it and contributes it to be
available with koffice. This also helps with integrating new people in koffice.
It also makes it easier as only one tool will be used for all the things.

Thorsten