List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Missing ODF features -- bugs or wishes
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-03-24 10:30:20

On Wednesday 24. March 2010 10.50.42 Inge Wallin wrote:
> I may be wrong here, but I think most of the controversy on irc was
> because  Thomas closed a wish because it didn't make sense in his view to
> keep lots of wishes in bugzilla.  (Btw, what's up with calling a wish
> "wishlist"?  That doesn't make sense to me at all.)

This is not correct; wishes in Bugzilla is fine. They make sense and its good
for inspiration for developers.
That is not what this is about.

This is about us having requests for new components in KOffice. Something that
can be done without any influence from KOffice developers by an external
contributor.

To help grow the community over the last 10 years the consensus is that its
hard. KOffice is not small and getting into it (compiling alone!) is hard.
So take away that problem by having plugins that people can write against
installed binaries of koffice. This has the potential to explode the ecosystem
of KOffice contributors simply by severely lowering the threshold of entry.
In the past I've been accused of making up stuff that was decided previously;
so I'll add a reference right now;
http://www.techworld.com.au/article/304893/koffice_version_2_0_extensions_being_like_firefox

to get that 3rd party development going we can't mix ideas that can only be
done by us with ideas that can be done by everyone.

So, Inge can still get his inspiration if we start building that external
community right now. See the links I pasted in this thread.

--
Thomas Zander