List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: libkdchart api stability?
From:       Alvaro Soliverez <asoliverez () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-23 12:52:02

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23. March 2010 12.33.31 Inge Wallin wrote:
>> What I instead propose is that we create a new subdirectory at the top
>> called,  say, 'externals'. Then we move both kdgantt and kdchart in there,
>> and maybe also other libraries that I'm not aware of right now.
>
> Will that help Rex?
> If you keep it inside of KOffice and thus the release are synched, then moving
> inside of KOffice has no effect AFAICT.
>
> So, whats the reason you want to move it? What does it solve? How does it
> solve Rex' problem?

It doesn't, at least from KMyMoney's overall point of view. What we
need is for KDAB to make a stand-alone release of kdchart. After that,
whether kdchart is in KOffice's branch, is of little importance to us.

I've only used the KOffice's branch as a convenience, and as an
additional advantage, I'm taking a version used by a much larger
project (and thus, probably more tested).

IF KDAB releases a stand-alone package, and IF the distro packagers
start packaging it and making it available, we'll reassess our policy
of using it as private library.

We have used it as an external dependency before, and we got burnt, so
moving again to an external dependency is way down in my priority
list. It takes me about 2 hours every release to sync with the current
branch and test it. That's much less time than what we had to spend
before due to dependency problems when it was external. Keep in mind
that we have a lot of Gnome users, so asking them to install a whole
bunch of koffice libs or whatever is not a nice option.

This is just to make clear what I think about the whole issue. I
appreciate Rex's attitude to find a permanent solution for this, but
as a dev, I'll stick to whatever makes my life easier. Even more so,
when the current solution is working (even if not so pretty or
'correct') and I have a ton of things to fix demanding my time.

Regards,
Alvaro Soliverez
KMyMoney development team