List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request: KoGenStyle(s) cleanup
From:       Jos van den Oever <Jos.van.den.Oever () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2010-03-08 12:13:32

On Monday 08 March 2010 13:02:45 Thomas Zander wrote:
>     enum values all currently are consistently starting with 'Style' Or
> StyleAuto, your change makes this inconsistent AFAICT. Starting and ending
> with consistent wording is nowhere near as logical as only starting with a
> consistent wording.
No, the changes makes them consistently end with Auto. It's debatable if
AutoStyle* would be better than Style*Auto, but the current change *improves*
consistency.

>     I don't think this change makes things easier to guess mostly because
> its inconsistent with Qt and KOffice practices.
Can you provide a link to these practices, or better, quote them with a link?

> trunk/koffice/libs/odf/KoGenStyle.h
> <http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/3090/#comment3859>
>
>     Changing an emum is not binary incompatible (see techbase for the
> rules). Please remove this enum value.
We are currently not binary compatible. There is no need to remain so. There
have been recent changes that also affected binary compatibility. Just renaming
the enum removes binary compatibility. What makes you think BIC is an issue?

> trunk/koffice/libs/odf/KoGenStyle.h
> <http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/3090/#comment3908>
>
>     Adding this enum in a public, installed header sounds wrong to me.
>     The comment about things being binary incompatible of adding enum
> values at the end is actually incorrect for any normal usecase. *except*
> for the usecase of the NumTypes enum, so we can avoid the whole BC issue
> by not adding the N_NumTypes enum value.
>
>     Can you please just use the last normal enum value when iterating?
I agree with this point. Perhaps there is an easy standard way to keep this
working nicely. The most common change would be that an enum value is added at
the end and that would break iterations that only go up to a certain value.

Cheers,
Jos