List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koreports dependencies (was koffice)
From:       Jaroslaw S <kexipl () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-01 18:16:31

On 1 March 2010 18:30, Cyrille Berger <cberger@cberger.net> wrote:
> On Monday 01 March 2010, Jaroslaw S wrote:
>> This is the point where we do nto understand each other, and that
>> started quite long ago ;) We don't need to display just a whole
>> document (or sheet in a workbook - this is very special case) but we
>> want to pysh/pull a tabular data and share it between apps. Ideally
>> with limited/removed copying. The data is so often unstored, as comes
>> from a query or external migration data source).
>>
>> This does not mean flake is incompatible. This only means we'll
>> probably incrementally extend the feature set.
> To make sure we understand each others, you are only interested in writing
> files ? Not in display ? And are linking to KDChart and kspreadcommon, only for
> that reason ?

Quite conversely - display and share data between processes, possibly
without touching files.
Whenever I say "data" I most typically mean data streams that do not
touch temporary files.
Reports typically use custom paint methods to display something, but
this is performed without saving rendered report and reopening it in
external app. In general, after painting (screen/printer/pdf file) the
generated page can be freed, that's why some ephasis is put on not
having temporary files unless really needed.

> If that is true, yes indeed flake is not what you need, but libodf (and
> whatever high level API we can extract from KDChart/kspreadcommon to ease the
> creation of those files).

What might add some confusion here, export-to-spreadsheet is not quite
the original koreports functionality (it's was just easy to implement
addition).

OTOH, Populating spreadsheets with data (data pulling) is a feature
that would belong to kspread.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek