List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Meeting minutes for the 13 February
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2010-02-18 4:28:35

Hello,

On Tuesday 16 February 2010 09:44:53 David Mills wrote:
> The class stencil has sevral particularities that make it interesting:
> -It can be linked via sevral different types of linkers to other elements
> (class or interface)
> -It has sevral text zones that need to be filled in independantly (Name,
> Properties, Methods) and each element has sevral qualifiers
> (protected/public/private/virtual/final...)
>
> This makes it probably the most complicated stencil to support, and I want
> to support it without any hacks (all code must be in the general stencil
> plugin without custome cases to handle this stencil).
>
> Like I said, I still don't know where I'm going on this, but I'm pretty
> sure that it'll be fairly complicated to get done right. Loading and
> saving to odf (which isn't really stencil aware) is adding another layer
> to this problem.

I think there are at least two possibilities to get the loading saving done.

1. Custom shapes ODF 9.6.1 <draw:custom-shape>
2. Frames ODF draw:frame

Each of those have benefits and drawbacks.

For 1:
Custom shapes are defined in ODF 9.6 Custom Shape. They might be enough for
easy shapes which are only made out of paths. All the same color and so on. It
is most likely that they can be loaded with other apps right out the box

For 2:
Frames are stored like 9.4 Frames. A stencil could be saved also in a frame.
It then contain its own format which is not bound to odf. It is also possible
to have e.g. svg and image representations of the frame to allow other odf
compatible applications to show the shapes even if they don't support the
format directly. That is e.g. how the music shape is stored.

I hope this helps,

Thorsten