List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Meeting minutes for the 13 February
From:       David Mills <d.mills-kde () guesny ! net>
Date:       2010-02-16 8:44:53

Le Monday 15 February 2010 23:52:19, jaham@gmx.net a écrit :

> > > It could have been, but it is not. But such is life I guess...
> > >
> > > Ciao Jan
> >
> > I must admit, I've only started reading the odf spec atm so I was only
> > repeating the sentiment expressed in the meeting.
> >
> > Do you have any pointers on the sticking points with this approach?
>
> I think it depends on how much you want to be able to not just display
> stencils but also edit them. For compatibility issues please see my other
> mail to that thread.
> I hope I am not too discouraging, but I wanted to let you know that the
> "complete compatibility" between odg and svg just does not exist.

My base use case that I'm hoping to be able to handle is the UML Class
stencil, if I can do that one, all the rest should be relativly easy.

The class stencil has sevral particularities that make it interesting:
-It can be linked via sevral different types of linkers to other elements
(class or interface)
-It has sevral text zones that need to be filled in independantly (Name,
Properties, Methods) and each element has sevral qualifiers
(protected/public/private/virtual/final...)

This makes it probably the most complicated stencil to support, and I want to
support it without any hacks (all code must be in the general stencil plugin
without custome cases to handle this stencil).

Like I said, I still don't know where I'm going on this, but I'm pretty sure
that it'll be fairly complicated to get done right. Loading and saving to odf
(which isn't really stencil aware) is adding another layer to this problem.

As soon as I have some concrete proposals, I'll post them to the list for
discussion before commiting to code.

David