List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: I'd like to help kivio
From:       Marcus Harrison <marcus.harrison () harrisonland ! co ! uk>
Date:       2010-01-17 9:22:59

On Sunday 17 Jan 2010 04:03:09 Yue Liu wrote:
> I'll finish my college exams in a few days, then I'll have some time to
> contribute something on kivio. I wanna help kivio because I need a good
> tool to draw circuit diagrams, my teacher recommend me use inkscape, but I
> think that is a little complicated. I think kivio would be a very
> promising tool.
>
> But I'm not familiar with QT and C++, only have experience on C, java, and
> javascript. Can any one tell me where shall I start?

You're roughly in the same boat as I am. The main obstacle for you will be
getting used to Object Oriented Programming as opposed to Procedural
Programming: though http://cplusplus.com/ has a helpful tutorial, it doesn't
really help you to understand Object Oriented Programming: for that, I suggest
you either buy a book on C++ from Amazon or similar, or download an E-book,
that goes very in-depth with the ins-and-outs of C++. Personally, I bought a
Sams book on the subject, as I've had two books from them already about
website design and I found them immensely helpful.

Then, you can start reading the API documentation and tutorials available at
Qt (tutorials: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/tutorials.html -- API
documentation: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/). When you feel quite comfortable with
the Qt way of doing things, you can start reading the KDE tutorials and
documentation (tutorials: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials -- API
documentation: http://api.kde.org/). The KDE API is very similar to the Qt
API, plus some extra goodies, so studying Qt will help you get used to KDE
development more quickly.

It's a bit of work, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. Good luck!

--
Marcus Harrison