List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Hello,
From:       "Pierre Stirnweiss" <pierre.stirnweiss () t-online ! de>
Date:       2010-01-12 21:40:15

Le Monday 11 January 2010 06:18:44, Ajay Pratap Singh Pundhir a écrit :
> Hello All,
>
> I am Ajay Pratap Singh. I am a newbie to the KDE world. I want to develop
> a collaborative editing tool for mobile devices. Can you help me in
> understanding the concept how the collaborative editor work?? I have seen
> Gobby, my target is to develop similar tool for mobile devices. But i have
> no idea how to start.Please send the link or some documents which can be
> helpful to me.
>

> Thanking you.
>

> --With Regards--
> Ajay Pratap Singh Pundhir

Hello,

You will first need to define the use case of your application. There are two
main concepts behind collaborative editing of documents:
- asynchronous: several people edit a document (the same  or local copies of
it) without being "connected" to each other. This form of collaborative
editing uses tools like change tracking, version control systems, merging of
diffs....
- synchronous (or simultaneous) editing. several people are editing a document
together "in real time". This is what a tool like Gobby or Google wave allows.
This is a field of active research in universities and R&D departments in
companies.

We are in KOffice in the process of implementing change tracking (which is
defined in ODF). I suggest you have a look at our libs (kotext in this case).
The second use case (synchronous editing) will come at a later stage.

 And because "charity starts at home", if you are interested in starting by
the first use case, helping us out in our implementation of change tracking
will ensure you will get earlier a good library foundation to start developing
you application: using the KOffice libraries will get you ODF loading saving,
text document editing and change tracking.

For synchronous editing, some interesting read is the google wave
documentation, what Gobby (or Kobby) web site offers on the subject. Also on
google scholar, search for collaborative edition (editing). You will get some
really interesting (albeit very technical) papers of different algorithm
(GOTO, SOCT2, JUPITER framework, tombstone, ...).  Another keyword to look for
in google scholar is Operational Transform/Transformation.

Hope this will get you started, and hopefully motivated in joining us,

Pierre