List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Review policy proposal. Wat: Re: koffice
From:       "C. Boemann" <cbo () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2010-01-11 14:00:35

wrote:
> > There is another communication issue though which we
should try to
> > resolve. Jan has made it clear he is getting demotivated
because he can
> > only work on Karbon by adding things to Flake and doing
refactoring there
> > and I am getting the impression that he feels Flake is being
frozen now,
> > which effectively makes it impossible to work on Karbon
anymore. So we
> > have to find a way forward here -- get flake cleaned up is
obviously very
> > important, but freezing the api would freeze karbon, which
is
> > undesirable.
>
> There will never be a freeze of flake API. Just like KDELibs and
Qt keep on
> adding features while staying binary compatible.
> The work going on in libs is to allow us to keep working on the
flake APIs
>  in the future as well. To allow us to add features and concepts
while
>  being able to keep stable libs for 3rd parties.
>
> I can't say it enough; if you (any you, not just Boud) have
questions
>  please ask. I will try to explain what I'm doing to anyone that
wants to
>  know (see my mail "whats up with those libs?" from 2 weeks
ago for a
>  start.
>
> Really; please speak up if you are concerned. Thats why I
asked. I mean, if
>  I hear nothing I'll have to conclude agreement.

Well I don't agree that we should be BC. We should strive for it
yes, but lets not preclude the possibility of breaking BC and SC.

Recompiling your code is not that hard. Nor is changing the
source - remember I'm not saying we should break every week
or so. This is why your work is so important- because it will allow
us to not break BC and SC unless really needed.