List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Kspread row limit
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-12-29 18:20:32

On Tuesday 29. December 2009 18.30.52 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> So, in short, please refrain in the future from giving people the
>  impression  that there has been a community decision not to extend
>  kspread's row limits if that would become possible. You only discourage
>  people with that. Don't discourage people to make our software better,
>  please.

This shows a rather big confusion. This thread and the request on IRC were not
by people that suggested to do the work.

So I think you got angry at me because of a confusion; confusion over the idea
that I'm stopping people from extending kspread. There is no such intend on my
part, although I agree my first email on this thread could have been phrased
better.

>> I mean, isn't it fair to say there is agreement if nobody objects or
>> raises an issue?
>
>No, it isn't. Nobody agreed either, for one thing. For another, people might
>have recognized that you were calling for a community decision here,

So, in light of the above it should also be cleared up that there was no
attempt at a "community decision", sorry if that was read in that way.
The point is much milder; someone asks on the ML if we can have more columns
than product X, someone on IRC asks if its a bug that we have a maximum number
of columns; the answer is that the authors of kspread back then found it to be
'good enough'. There is no TODO, no open tasks.  Also I am not aware of any
bugreport and no usecases reported of people needing more columns. But lets
not get into the actual technical issue, here.

I have not been deciding anything; just telling the person asking that this is
the current (verifiable) state of affairs. I'm indeed someone that does a LOT
from memory, which tends to be accurate-enough for giving a quick yes-no
answer; that should not be seen as me making a decision based on my own
judgment. Please let that be clear, I don't make decisions on apps that I
don't maintain.
The thing that really happened (and why I said; "the consensus seems to be")
is just that I remembered sufficient detail of the discussions for the last 6
years and tell you what people in the know said before. Really, I'm not making
any "community decisions" here.

I hope this clears up the background of this issue a bit and I hope you'll
agree there is nothing to worry about. The only thing we lost is 2 bugreports,
no code or contributions.

Bottom line; I'm only trying to help by giving an *answer* to a question while
there are no kspread maintainers, if you want to put the time into kspread to
add whatever; I'll be the last to object.

Happy holidays :)
--
Thomas Zander