List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Kspread row limit
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-12-29 16:57:57

On Tuesday 29. December 2009 13.57.11 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Sunday 22 November 2009, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Sunday 22. November 2009 20.27.09 Hendrik Grahl wrote:
> > > As the comparison chart [1] indicates common spreadsheet programs have
> > > vastly different values of supported rows and columns. I propose that
> > > Kspread should strive to become compliant with the limits now present
> > > in Excel 2007: 1,048,576 rows, 16,384 columns.
> >
> > That sounds like the worst possible reason to change the design of
> > kspread. Naturally I'm all for interoperability, but you are not
> > suggesting interoperability, you are suggesting we get a bigger number
> > than others. No user cares about that.
>
> I saw this come up on irc today with the assumption being that "it is
>  agreed in koffice that the current capabilities of kspread are good
>  enough"

Yes, you think its not?
I mean, isn't it fair to say there is agreement if nobody objects or raises an
issue?
Reading your email I'm not sure if you disagree with the assertion or not.. Do
you?

>  -- perhaps because nobody ever posted anything else in this
>  thread.

I think thats a good start, indeed. Again, if nobody says its a problem, I'd
say there is consensus its 'good enough'.
Don't you agree? Am I missing something obvious?

>The other thing is until people who are actually working on kspread have
>spoken out on this issue nobody should assume agreement and use that
>assumption to quench any further discussion.

As we are currently out of a kspread maintainer and all the koffice guys are
chipping in on getting bugs fixed and stuff running who are you thinking about?
I mean, this thread only had my reply, not that I claim maintainership, far
from it, but who are you thinking about if you say "people who are actually
working on kspread"?

>  I want to note two things: having artificial limits is silly, no
>  matter what other applications do. If we can support more, that would be
>  great, users do care about the capabilities of their applications.

Would you be so kind and let us know which of these users think we don't have
enough columns?

Just to insert some facts into this discussion;
* KSpread 2.1 already has more columns than Excel 2007 (last column in kspread
is AVLG => 26^3 + 26^2 * 21 = 31772).

* The commit count of the last 26 weeks:
025] Author: sebsauer
013] Author: zander
012] Author: rempt
010] Author: mkruisselbrink