List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Compound File Format reader
From:       Brad Hards <bradh () frogmouth ! net>
Date:       2009-12-23 3:38:23

On Wednesday 23 December 2009 09:21:07 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Check out filters/kpresenter/powerpoint/libppt/pole.{h,cpp}. This file
> > actually exists in multiple incarnations within KOffice. I don't know
> >  anything about the relative performance, ease of use or featurefulness
> > of pole and libgsf2.
>
> I've thought about that, but porting wv2 to pole is a bigger job than just
> putting wv2 into the koffice tree -- and while I agree the glib dependency
> sucks, in practice Qt depends on glib anyway on most, if not all
> distributions.
For what it is worth, I'm working on a Qt-based Compound File Binary File
Format parser. It isn't done yet, but maybe only a few more weeks. I'll upload
it to playground when it gets a bit more mature.

I've used both GSF and POLE, and while both are OK, the lack of a Qt API
became annoying. Also, POLE can only read from a file, and making it write
looked pretty hard, plus Ariya doesn't really seem to be maintaining it any
more.

GSF is good and well maintained, but very general (e.g. handles other file
formats) and it uses an "almost but not quite" object-oriented C API that just
confused me every time I tried to make it do something even remotely non-
standard.

I was mostly interested in this format for handling things from Outlook,
although I also found it in a TIFF tag generated by Microsoft's writer.

Brad