List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Usability suggestion: Use Esc to switch to default tool
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar () autistici ! org>
Date:       2009-12-16 22:12:30

Although I said I would focus on the problems Thomas pointed me to, there is
still one thing I'd like to suggest before that:

When double-clicking a shape, KOffice apps switch to an editing tool (edit
text, edit path etc.). If a user double-clicks a shape and has finished
editing or double-clicking has changed to a tool the user didn't expect, she
is likely to press Esc to leave "edit mode".
KSpread behaves like that when editing cells (except that it undos any
changes), but otherwise Esc does nothing.
I know that KOffice treats all tools as equal. This does make sense
conceptually, but still users will want to "escape" a tool that they selected
e.g. by double-clicking a shape without knowing what would happen.
The default tool (as name already suggests) is the "safe haven" which doesn't
change things (except for moving). Thus it is the starting point to which
users return after editing shapes.
I don't see other uses for Esc, so I hope this suggestion isn't as
controversial as my previous one. It would just be an easy to remember
shortcut to selecting the default tool for users who are either confused by
the tool they have currently selected or are done using it and want to switch
back to the tool that that does nothing but select things.

Regards,
Thomas