List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability suggestions for the styles tab
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar () autistici ! org>
Date:       2009-12-16 19:56:59

> > > This is not as simple to do as it sounds, we considered this a long
> > > time and ended up with a different solution for various reasons.
> > > One is to do with keyboard focus.
> >
> > Maybe we should talk about these reasons in detail on IRC, because maybe
> >  we  can still find a way that works better than the current solution.
>
> I'll dig up the design I made initially which took all these things into
> account and you can look at it if you want.
I'd really like to look at it.

> Its funny that every usability guy/girl that comes in to KOffice looks at 2
> dialogs at fist; the startup one and the styles one :-)

Probably because those are often used dialogs, at east for KWord.

> Both have gotten a lot of attention and I have various ideas/designs to
> improve on them, but time is a factor.

I understand that, of course. I just make suggestions. If you decide to use
them, you can do so whenever you have time.

> I also think they are also not the worst things in KOffice currently.
> Someone that can come up with a better solution for the gradient plus
>  patterns tools (a combined tool has been suggested) or even their
>  individual UIs will make a lot of waves ;)
> The default layout of KPresenter has gotten some critical feedback (too
>  many widgets) that might be interesting too.

Thanks for pointing me to problematic areas. I asked ingwa last week about
areas the team regards as problematic, but he couldn't identify any on short
notice. But now that I know some problematic areas, I'll focus on them next.

Regards,
Thomas