List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Bugfixes and Features
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2009-10-27 12:06:11

KOffice 2.1 just branched and we all know that from now on only bugfixes are
allowed on the branch.  What I would like to get some consensus on, and
perhaps get a policy for, is what constitutes a bugfix.

There is a large gray area between the obvious new feature, like a new dialog,
and the obvious bugfix like fixing a crash.  I have searched both the Koffice
wiki and KDE techbase and found nothing except this short notice on
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Commit_Policy :

> Backport bugfixes
>
> If you commit bugfixes, consider porting the fixes to other branches.
> Use the same comment for both the original fix and the backport, that
> way it is easy to see which fixes have been backported already.

So, I'm going to post a few scenarios here and let you decide whether you
think it's a bugfix or new feature.  Note that none of the scenarios
introduces any new strings, or other GUI elements.

1.  I make the msword filter read a new property that wasn't covered before
and write the appropriate odf.  Not handling the property wasn't bug reported
on b.k.o.

2. Same as 1 but a user has bugreported it and insists that not handling this
property is a bug and destroys his ability to use the application.

3. I implement reading a new ODF attribute for a tag, and save it back.  This
means that roundtripping is improved (i.e. data loss is lessened).  The
attribute isn't visible in the UI at all.

4. Same as 3, but now the attribute is shown in the document View.  By doing
this, the layout is improved but there is no way for the user to edit it (that
would be an obvious new feature).  An example of this could be that kword
currently reads the margin attributes, but not the padding ones. This leads to
errors in how large the text area is on a page compared to OOo and, I suppose,
to how the spec was intended.

5. Same as 3, but now it's a new visible feature that wasn't visible before.
An example of this could be page borders.  Still no way for the user to edit,
of course.

6. I implement reading, storing and showing a new ODF element (here I suppose
there still are unimplemented XML elements in the standard). It shows
something visible on the screen that is a larger change than just a somewhat
different formatting or so. Still no editing for the user.

OK, let's stop there.  Now, obviously everybody can have an opinion, but the
interesting part of the exercise is to use your opinion and form a policy.
Please try to write down how the policy could be worded.

That's what I hope will come out of this: a clear policy for what is a bugfix
and what is not. Hopefully it will reduce the discussions and even flames.
I'm aware that it will be somewhat arbitrary since it's probably not  possible
to create something that everybody agrees upon, but let's at least make a try.

My own opinion?  I think that we could treat 1-5 as bugfixes. Point 6 not so
easily. Our goal is to follow OpenDocument, and if we handle OpenDocument
documents wrong or miss certain attributes, it's to be considered a bug.  To
draw the line somewhere, I draw it between 5 and 6.

So my policy for KOffice of what is a bug or not is drawn from the
OpenDocument specification and new strings and editing features. Just showing
something new on the screen doesn't make it a new feature unless it's a
completely new structure.

	-Inge