List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Emf libray
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2009-10-25 14:51:26

On Sunday 25 October 2009 14:47:24 jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> On Sunday 25 October 2009 14:21:26 Inge Wallin wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 October 2009 14:04:04 jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> > > So the reason you want the library to live in /koffice/libs is the emf
> > >  shape, which several people already pointed out is not the proper way
> > > to go. Actually I am not sure why you assume that converting emf to
> > > vector shapes is difficult to do. Granted it is some more work than
> > > simply using the code already there to paint the emf primitives to a
> > > pixmap and just displaying that. But if you actually had looked at the
> > > wmf import filter, is is no black magic involved at all to convert to
> > > vector shapes.
> >
> > Let me clarify this a bit.  I am all for creating a generic vector shape
> >  that can handle more than one feature.  So why am I not doing it?
> >
> > 1. Time.  I'm doing this as part of the n900 project and we are very
> >  stressed already.  In the future I may work on creating a more generic
> >  vector shape and when it's ready I'll be happy, but not right now.  I
> >  thought that being able to show EMF's would be better than not for the
> >  time being.
>
> I understand that you may have timelines to meet, but imho thats no valid
> reason for things concerning KOffice as a community. Or is that how
>  external paid work is going to be handled in the future?

That is a bit low.  What I'm offering is a piece of working software.  If you
or anybody else wants to generalize that I'm not against it.  But I don't have
time to do it.  What you're saying here is that no functionality is better
than limited functionality.  Note that I was not going to do a bad design or
anything, just that it wouldn't be the full generalized solution

> > 2. EMF is not actually a vector format intended for editing, at least not
> >  as far as I understood it.  It's more close to postscript than SVG in
> > that sense. So the people who want to edit EMF's are likely not that
> > many. Import to other formats for programs that can't handle EMF is of
> > course valid, but that's not my main concern right now.
>
> Can you point me to a source supporting that assumption?

No, as I said, it's just my basic understanding and feeling.  if you have
other information, I'm can easily change my mind.