List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice/plugins
From:       Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-08 15:12:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann@zagge.de>wrote:

> On Mon October 5 2009, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > On Monday 05 October 2009, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > > I think it would be a good idea to have a vector shape. It then could
> be
> > >  used e.g. to embed a svg/emf and so on into a document. It would be
> nice
> > >  if for editing of the shape karbon could be used but I think that is
> > >  something that should be discussed at the sprint.
> >
> > Why not importing/inserting ODG in kpresenter/kword as a group ? Then the
> >  user can easily position the image, and if he needs to, he can easily
> edit
> >  it. Then once you can insert ODG, you have access to all karbon filters.
> >

> But that will modify the document. If the document contains a svg, it
> should
> still contain it when saving the document.
>
> That does not mean that the use case you describe should not work. I think
> both are 2 different use cases and both should work.

I think we need a shape that does both. The shape has to load an external
SVG/WMF/EMF/whatever image and save it as external image.
It it would make sense to store as SVG only and not save EMF (at least if
you don't lose information). Addtionally the shape should offer an ungroup
functionally so that it can be edited later.
As long as the shape isn't ungrouped it's saved a seperate image, after
ungrouping it's save inline in the odf data.

The only problem with the ungrouping is that not every feature that the
image format supports can be saved back to odf. For example you could have
an embedded SVG image with a filter effect, ungroup it and save it as odg
then you lose the filter effect.