List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Request for comment: snapping in kivio / flake
From:       Jan Hambrecht <jaham () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-09-17 8:29:11

Andrew Dorrell wrote:
> On Thursday 17 September 2009 5:34:59 am jaham@gmx.net wrote:
>>>     b. align the axis of rotation with multiples of a rotation step size
>>>  (say 15 degrees)
>> There current used rotation step size is 45 degrees, activated when
>>  pressing  the alt modifier key while rotating. I think having a second
>>  smaller stepsize would be a good idea.
>
> Also very neat - I'm liking it :-)
>
> I think I had to be told about it though.  IMHO it would be intuitive to trat
> this like snap to grid and have it switched on and off like all the other snap
> modes.

Yeah i thought about that too, but it would only be applicable when
rotating, not sure if that would be a problem.

> One way to handle different step sizes is to link them to the current zoom
> level.  A zoomed out view gets 45 degree steps only; zoomed in 15; really
> zoomed in might get 5.  Except that by zoom I really mean the size of the
> object relative to the current view-port.  As you note this requires some
> knowledge of the view which might be difficult to get?

Well you can get the size of the object on the view by using the
KoViewConverter::documentToView(QSizeF) function. But this depends on
the zoom level as well as on the actual size of the shape. So you would
get different angle steps for the same zoom level but differently sized
shapes. This might be a little confusing to the user.
Maybe we could use two angle steps like 15 and 5 degrees. As 15*3=45 you
would also be able to get exactly 45 or 90 degree steps when rotating,
but yet also have smaller steps available.

Ciao Jan