List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Page Variable Support
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-23 8:07:46

On Sunday 23. August 2009 07.39.49 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> On Sat August 22 2009, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Friday 21. August 2009 22.17.40 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > > it worked fine this exact way in koffice 1.x and I think it can see
> > > no problem to behave like that also in flake e.g. by getting the page
> > > number in the paint method.
> >
> > Actually, that would really be a huge problem.
> > A lot has changed since we used Qt3 and a lot was fundamentally wrong
> > with doing stuff like that in the paint method, for example we actually
> > had different looking text at every zoom level. Embedding of shapes was
> > practically impossible, tables was not really possible to do right etc.
>
> I can't see what that has to do with what I proposed.

You suggested to relayout the text in the paint method of the text shape.

This implies this happens for *all* shapes, every time, in all applications.
Also for page 1 of a 1000 page kword document.
This implies we can no longer do layout that takes a long time since that
would make kword really slow. (it would relayout pages 2-999 too on every
paint)
Even without that, it means things become impossible; like table layout,
concepts like anchoring shapes and doing layout 3 times just to get things
right.

Bottom line; the application should decide to force a relayout of a shape,
this decision can not happen at the text-shape level.

And this is exactly what I suggested in the bugreport; kopageapp calls some
method on the kotext api to tell one shape to relayout.

You need to use proxyShapes concept though, since the exact same shape being
shown on two different pages *will* have the exact same content.
--
Thomas Zander