List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: The State of Kivio
From:       Andrew Dorrell <andrew.dorrell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-22 1:01:53

<andrew.dorrell@gmail.com>wrote:
> > Could slangkamp make email contact with me please?  I might be able to
> > make some contributions to kivio.
>
> Thanks for your interest in constributing. Do you have anything special
> that interests you?
> Don't hesitate to ask on the mailing list or on #koffice channel on
> freenode IRC if you need help.
> I'm looking forward to that.

Hi Sven,

Good to hear from you.  I'm afraid IRC is one of theose things I just haven't
worked out yet.  Plus my GMT+10 timezone might be an issue...  Anyway it is
more that I have been looking for something that I can contribute usefully to
with a relatively small time allocation (I have a job and family).  And I feel
Koffice is one of theose projects that is important but under-resourced.

I'm fine with C++, svn (I already have a checkout and local build of koffice)
but am really not sure how most KDE development is approached and would
appreciate some pointers and guiding around the existing code.  I do use visio
every so often so am a little familiar with software like kivio, and find most
of it annoying (draw capabilities of MS offics and OOO are woeful).

I was thinking I might be best starting by playing with the existing kivio and
making a list of what I found to be the most glaring issues... however when I
did this the biggest issues seemed to be how the dockers kept jumping around
in and sizing unpredicatably - not a kivio specific issue I susspect ;-).

If I was to start on stencil support where would I start in the code?  What
existing code is there (from previous versions)?

Thanks
Andrew.