List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch fixing crash on loading remote documents
From:       Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-18 12:19:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday 17. August 2009 23.42.49 Sven Langkamp wrote:
> > I have attached a patch for review. It fixes loading of remote documents
> > from recent docs.
> > With the change the app will wait until the file is loaded before it
> > continues.
>
> You can commit this; I'm not too happy about making the UI block for
> network
> activity, though. That may take a *long* time. And the user doesn't even
> get
> any feedback on his one click.

There is a progress feedback in the systray.

> In KWord I made sure that the app will not crash when a remote doc is
> opened. This largely implies the KoView class will behave fine if there is
> no
> content yet.
> Showing an empty page sounds like the better solution to me, can all apps
> show a normal UI as soon as possible without blocking?
>
> I know these things are a bit more work, and this is fixing issues in all
> apps. But I'm sure the users will love you for it :)

In KWord I get:
ASSERT: "pageIndex >= 0 && pageIndex < m_pageTops.count()" in file
/home/sven/kde/src/koffice/kword/part/KWViewModeNormal.cpp, line 192

I know that this isn't a perfect solution. It should show a empty view with
a progressbar. For now this solves a few crashes, but we should take this
into account when redesigning KoDocument/KoView.

load a document. The user might try to modifty that empty document or start
to search for the content.