List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KoImageData
From:       Dmitry Kazakov <dimula73 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-14 5:31:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday 13. July 2009 23.25.15 Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> > I  think loading  shouldn't be  fully  based on  showing. Yes,  it's
> > better to load images from current page first, but then start a thread
> > that will preload other images in background.
> > Maybe you meant it here... =)
>
> Why would we want to do that?
> If I have a 1000 page document it would likely take various minutes to
> finish
> this, and it would be cause a huge amount of memory to be used.
>
> I think that we should be fine with loading only on demand, as long as its
> fast enough. And I doubt users will expect that 3000x3000 image to be on
> screen instantaneously on first show. (everything else will likely show
> near
> instantaneous)

Maybe you are right. We shouldn't preload all the images in the document.
But what about images on previous/next pages? Maybe, preload them at least
to ease scrolling?

PS:
I want to have this feature, because sometimes i get quite annoyed when
ms-word is loading images when i'm scrolling. And it doesn't happen as
instantaneous as i'd like to :)

--
Dmitry Kazakov