Thomas Zander wrote: > On Tuesday 30. June 2009 21.11.04 Adam Pigg wrote: >> we dont (cant/wont :) seem to have come to a consenesus yet :/ > > oh, sorry about that, Jaroslaw gave a great suggestion that nobody will > disagree with (well, nobody did) just that there needs to be a volunteer. > That may explain the lack of replies. > >> on irc, slangkamp doesnt think libkoodf if the right place for handling >> high level functions such as books/sheets/cells (or documents/paragraphs >> i guess/pages/slides). > > Maybe a misunderstanding, what we talked about in Berlin 1½ years ago when > we decided on having a libodf was that we provide a set of features that > allow 3rd party apps to use ODF easier. > Naturally that means the existing functionality (kostore) but also more. > One of the things we concluded was that we wanted basic functionality to > make it > really easy to write things like a simple spreadsheet. NOT functions or > calculations, just data. > > I think that last distinction is where the opinions differed. The simple > functionality should be lightweight to add to libodf without dragging half > kspread in. > >> Where does that leave us? > > With libodf. > Exactly like Jaroslaw described (not quoted in this email) > >> 1. Continue linking to libkspreadcommon (which with correct packaging >> shouldnt be a problem i think) > > Why do you think its not a problem? There are different people that > already pointed out it has severe problems. Indeed the first reply on this > thread said so. > Lets not re-do that discussion down here in this thread ;) > >> 2. Linking to 'some other library' which can provide a similar function > > Like libodf. > But using a file in interfaces might help to. I'm sure I wrote that in an > email here somewhere too. > >> 3. Writing a higher level library above libkoodf to provide high level >> api's for creating documents > > Which is similar to the Jaroslaw solution. I think that we can just have > those inside libodf, to be honest. But I'm certainly fine with it living > above at least initially. > >> Suggestions? > > I think the main reason there was no conclusion is because the one who > does th work decides. And I won't tell you which option to pick ;) > The reason for this thread was certainly not to tell you how to do the > work, the main reason for the length of this thread is because the one > solution we have now has given us a lot of headaces in the past and we > don't want to have that again in KOffice. > > So, my suggestion is; any solution that works for you as long as its not > linking to more than one app. > > Hope that helps :) Yes, that helps (apart from the fact the job size has increased a hundred fold :) So...basically, libkoodf needs features to read/write to an ods, using an api that represents a spreadsheet (book/sheet/cell). Now, the problem is that it is a bit of a huge task, and if im honest, quite daunting, i have no idea what is needed, and no idea what would be acceptable as a design, api or featureset. Perhaps you 'core' devs would be able to write something up on the wiki? Would it be a start to 'borrow' code from kspread? I do this as a hobby, i have a day job, wife and 4 (really) kids, so you would have to bear with me if it takes a while :) Cheers _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel