List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for splitting koffice/plugins/ dir
From:       Inge Wallin <ingwa () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2009-06-25 13:16:31

On Wednesday 24 June 2009 22:45:59 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wednesday 24. June 2009 22.44.41 Adam Pigg wrote:

> > The third (newest) is to provide dynamic, runtime access to a spreadsheet
> > as though it was a database, and allow report generation using this.
>
> I have some doubts about how much we want this usecase, as cyrille pointed
> out, this is calling for problems. See his first mail for reasons.

I can see some uses for this.  In fact, Microsoft found when they investigated
that the main usage of excel was not for advanced calculations, but for simple
lists.  For the naive user, a spreadsheet is perfect for this, even if we
would prefer to use a database for it.

I don't think we should dismiss this usecase that easily.

> > Ontop of this, eventaully i'd also like to provide access to all koffice
> > app scripting api's, so that a user writing a database app in kexi, can
> > write scripts which have full access to the other app api's, for the
> > purpose of generation of custom spreadsheets, or word-processor docs.
>
> Thats fine, koscript should be the library to link to.
>
> > Lastly, i'd also like for kplato to investigate implementing the
> > migration api, so that kplato can generate reports (a request from dag).
>
> Make it a flake shape.

"It", being the report generator, I suppose?  Will that cover all usecases?
In my world, a report is often a full document, most likely a text document,
not just a shape.

> > How can all this be handled in a way that make everyone happy?
>
> Its mostly about making you not be disappointed when you need to maintain
> this :)

We should always prioritize making it easy for the user over making it easy
for the developer / packager if there is a conflict.

	-Inge