List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for splitting koffice/plugins/ dir
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2009-06-25 4:14:03

Hello,

On Wed June 24 2009, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wednesday 24. June 2009 22.44.41 Adam Pigg wrote:
> > There is currently 3 usecases.
> >
> > The first, within the reports plugin, allows a report to 'render' to an
> > ods sheet.  This uses libkspreadcommon.
>
> Any such ODF writing capabilities should become available in libodf.

If I understand that stuff correctly that would mean that a lot of
functionality that is currently in kspread would need to be moved to libodf. I
don't think that is what is wanted.

> > The second, provided by part of the 'migration' api is to take a
> > spreadsheet, and do a 1 time conversion into a database.
>
> You can do that by only linking to kexidb and libodf
>
> > The third (newest) is to provide dynamic, runtime access to a spreadsheet
> > as though it was a database, and allow report generation using this.
>
> I have some doubts about how much we want this usecase, as cyrille pointed
> out, this is calling for problems. See his first mail for reasons.

I think it is a perfectly valid use case to have access to data of a database
to get some values in your spreadsheet out of a database. Maybe this is also
something e.g. we want to have in a text shape to have variables that come
from a database.

Thorsten