List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Question about KoShape::notifyChanged();
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-05-26 13:40:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 23. May 2009 21.49.31 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Saturday 23 May 2009, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > So, I'd suggest you do something in your plugin; naturally you can just
> > add the observer/listener pattern to your own shape.
> > Your docker (via the tool perhaps) should then be shipped in the same
> > plugin so it can use the private API of your shape. This can then
> > listen to the signal from the shape(s) as it changes.
>
> Since the url is set through a KoShapeConfigWidgetBase (in the properties
> docker), it's still doable in making a "connection" between the current
> shape and the widget that inherits KoShapeConfigWidgetBase. That said
> since it's bound to affect all shapes that provides a
> KoShapeConfigWidgetBase, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to have
> something more generic ? Like a notifyPropertiesChanges() that would then
> (by whatever means) make the shape properties reload the option of the
> shape ?

I think this just shows again that the usage of the KoShapeConfigWidgetBase
in the properties docker is really stretching the concept and causing
problems again.
The KoShapeConfigWidgetBase is used for when a shape is inserted for the first
time. So a shape that requires at least *some* config before being able to be
shown uses this concept.
And you see this in that really the only shapes that provide such a config
widget are the ones that require some initial config.

I'd argue that the properties Docker has outlived its usefullnes and should
be retired so people that makes a new shape don't get confused by it.

We already have the tools docker and the tool-properties docker to do
exactly this, I am still unconvinced we need a second similar concept as
well.
--
Thomas Zander