List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Note on translating documentation for KOffice
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2009-04-02 15:19:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

I would like to advice against translating documentation for KOffice (for the
moment), the main reason is that those documentation are very outdated, during
the 2.0, a lot of things have been changed, and the documentation haven't been
updated.
Also, we are considering moving the editing of the manuals to userbase.kde.org
(in the hope it will make editing and updating them easier, see [1]). We still
intend to ship an offline version with each releases, that would include
translations.

But we are yet unsure how to handle translations of the manuals, as far as we
can see, there are two options: either keep translations the way they are done
currently, or also have the translations made on the wiki (since we also want
to have translations on userbase, we would need some way of synchronisation).
If you have an opinion/experience on the subject, feel free to discuss it with
us.

Currently we are just evaluating this, and only KWord's documentation has been
copied, and will be use as a guinea pig for this experiment.

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=123619851112835&w=2
--
Cyrille Berger