List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Formal GSoC Proposal [Second Draft]: Basic tables support for
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-03-27 9:58:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 26. March 2009 22:04:39 Elvis Stansvik wrote:
> Below is a second draft of my formal GSoC proposal. Please point out
> if you think there's anything that I should leave out or if there's
> any glaring inaccuracies. I plan on submitting my proposal on Monday.

Hi Elvis,

The suggestion looks good. I like the level of detail!

I would suggest you add the concept of unit testing to your application.  The
last year but it doesn't test any tables loading yet.
I suggest to extend his work with tables loading tests and aim to keep the
existing unit tests passing.

Next to the loading the text-layout is also heavily unit tested (see the
plugins/textshape/tests/ dir) since this is practically the only way to write
something as complex as a (text) layout engine without breaking what already
exists every time you make a little addition ;)
So I would suggest having all new features that you write for tables to have
an accompanying unit test written.
This additionally makes it possible to design a simple tables layouting
structure first and make that work. Later, when your knowledge and insight in
the matter grows, you can probably restructure or even rewrite the code in a
fraction of the time when more features have to be supported, and the unit
tests will help you to make sure that what worked before still works after
such changes.

Would your proposal be selected I offer to mentor it.
--
Thomas Zander