List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Applications categories
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2009-03-25 15:14:48

2009/3/25 Inge Wallin <inge@lysator.liu.se>:
> On Friday 27 February 2009 16:31:08 C. Boemann wrote:

>> > Wouldn't that degrade Kexi, KPlato and Kivio to supporting apps?
>> > These are first class KOffice apps so they shouldn't the in other.
>>
>> Actually i meant it as upgrading kchart and kformula
>>
>> I also thought about keeping the support group or removing kchart and
>> kformula all together from the overview (or call them viewers)
>
> Here you make the mistake that too many koffice hackers do: Mix kchart and the
> chart shape, and kformula and the formula shape.
>
> The chart shape (that people often mistakenly call kchart) is a shape that can
> be included into any other koffice application.  KChart is an application that
> can handle an OpenDocument Chart document (.odc). KChart is not released in
> 2.0, but will hopefully be in 2.1, and the same goes for KFormula if the
> formula shape is fixed then.
>
> There would probably not be a KChart at all if OASIS hadn't defined a formula
> document type.

Inge
Don't you think there can be some feature duplication if we have apps
that handle tabular data (kspread, kexi, and one day kword -- to some
extent)? Last I checked checekd there was a simple data-entry forms in
KChart that resembles more these advanced from kspread or kexi.
I think that existence of .odc in the specs is a side effect. People
quite often define their charts in context of the existing document
they work on (text or spreadseet) or in context of the database design
(forms/reports). I am one of them, as I never assume I would not need
a feature not existing in the chart format itself, e.g. I may need to
insert a callout box near the chart object.

If this is the case, having one or two choices less (by keeping
kformula and kchart only as helpers within other apps) could be good:
it would simplify the workflow. Even if forumlas can live outside of
the document, charts only live when there is data.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek