List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC: KWord interface revamp proposal
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-03-23 20:44:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 23. March 2009 18.58.43 David Antler wrote:
> I still think that this is a logical progression from the current "Beta"
> interface and would be a great benefit to the user

I agree on the beta interface conclusion. KWord beta7 is still not really
showing the direction and vision that the KOffice guys have started.  So I can
see how you came to the suggestions you made.

I think the other posters in this thread already were clear with feedback on
your proposal and I want to add that I am looking forward to getting 2.0.0 out
the door and the feature freeze lifting so we can do some more actual design
on the user interface and furthering the vision of the KOffice suite.

Especially the point of staying in the design that lives in the minds of the
people that have been writing KOffice2 for the last 3 years is something that
will make it very hard for you to come up with something that the KOffice team
likes. Especially since, as said, I'm really looking forward to doing this
work myself :)

For GSoC the proposals that I shall put my backing to are things that are not
extending the core or touching code on a dozen dockers etc.  I would back
proposals that use the KOffice plugin structure to add functionality and
options.  I've said that before, and I'll say it again. We made KOffice extend-
able for a reason, its a great thing for beginner developers and for enhancing
all KOffice applications while shielding developers from the hard parts.