List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Marketing of KOffice 2.0.0
From:       Benjamin Reed <rangerrick () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-23 19:30:36

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Alexandra Leisse <leisse@kde.org> wrote:

> * Take screenshots. A lot of them. Show your applications in all their
> glory. If you have it running on alternative systems even better!
> Please, don't censor yourself I'll review all I get and see what makes
> it's way onto the page. The rest will live on flickr for example.
> Those of you who have an account on any of the photo sharing sites
> could save me some work and upload their screenies themselves but
> don't forget to tag them! koffice2 will be a nice tag, but I'm open
> for better suggestions.

If you want screenshots on OSX, I'd be happy to provide them.  KOffice
for the most part is looking pretty good on OSX.

One big missing feature that'll be a killer for folks, though, is it's
not currently possible to register certain document types with KDE
applications so they auto-open (.doc, .xls, etc.)  Apparently it
requires applications to understand a specific API and register for
"file open" events, and I'm not sure how to reconcile that with KDE's
freedesktop-style property-file registration.  :(

Is there anyone around with some mac chops who would mind
investigating with me how to do that?  KOffice will be *very* popular
on OSX once it interacts nicely with the finder, I think.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick
Fink, KDE, and Mac OS X development

Blog: http://www.raccoonfink.com/