List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC Proposal - Versioning within OpenDocument files
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-03-16 22:57:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 16. March 2009 23:06:00 Nicholas Sinlock wrote:
> > Did we mention that we have someone working already on this?
>
> I know PierreSt was working on implementing change tracking from ODF
> 1.1, but that's not
> versioning per se.

How do you reason that?

> > Your implementation paragraphs are not very in-depth and gives me the
> > impression you didn't really work on the koffice codebase yet and I
> > think you don't really have an overview of what actually needs to be
> > done to finish this feature.
>
> I'm aware that my implementation is vague, and that is mainly because I
> am not sure how much detail is required,
> or desired.   Also, this is just my rough proposal.  I was hoping that I
> could get some criticism to work into my
>  second draft.   Or, to put it another way, this isn't all I have.  So,
> if you want to explain in more depth what exactly
> you find lacking in my proposal, whether it be the implementation,
> timeline, etc, I would be only too appreciative.
> Thanks for you time.

I would like to see you do some research into the koffice codebase and see
what code actually needs to be touched.  No need to go into details but a
good understanding of where you want to plug into the current code to get
the information you need.
What you do with the information as the user types
How you store the information in memory while editing
How you store the information into ODF

Bottom line; I want to feel you are already aware on a global implementation
level of how this is going to work. If you are fresh at the koffice
codebase then this project is just too big for a GSoC.

If you have a proposal of working on something that doesn't come so close to
what others are also working on (text/odf/change-tracking), that would have
my preference.
--
Thomas Zander