List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugs in OOo and compatibility issues
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2009-02-25 12:52:36

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Cyrille Berger <cberger@cberger.net> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 February 2009, Jan Hambrecht wrote:
> >> Yes that is my concern too. If we are to read faulty odf files we should
> >> provide a way (maybe a popup dialog?) to inform the user that the opened
> >> file is buggy in regard to the odf spec.
> > While it might be self satisfactory for us to inform the user that OOo is
> > buggy, I don't think the user will care.
>
> Maybe a silly suggestion, but why not inform the user with a passive,
> non-intrusive dialog (eg info bar on top or bottom of screen, or
> through knotify) that the file contained errors and is not up to spec.
> Just that, no more, no less. I think users who see errors in the file
> will note it's due to the file being broken, and not blame KO as much
> as they would otherwise...

That's similar to what I suggested yesterday on irc: do the same as konqueror,
and mark buggy documents in the statusbar, and make it easy to click on that
indicator to get the list of problems. Won't be doable for 2.0, of course,
and depends on their being a good way to validate documents. I bet, given
Zagge's description of the problem, that no validator would catch odp documents
with this bug, because the odp is actually valid odf.

Boudewijn