List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC 2009 proposal, looking for mentor
From:       Andrew Dorrell <andrew.dorrell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-24 22:59:46

Hi Lukas,

I'd like to put in a vote for the diffusion curves.  That stuff is very
cool and looks very powerful for content creation.  Also it is nice and
modular (self contained project).  But I would contact the authors first
to clarrify their position WRT intellectual property.  I.e. Have they,
or are they planning to patent this work and how will they view a GPLv3
release of their work.

My second choice would be 3D brushes - also because they are relatively
new and directly relate to content creation.  I'm not as familiar with
this work however and assume a pressure sensitive pen device would be
required to make good use of it?  If so it means the audience is smaller.

WRT advanced interpolation I think you should avoid this.  I have
already done a lot of playing with advanced interpolation algorithms.
Most are afflicted with subtle artefacts that are very difficult to
avoid.  If you don't have a significant block of time and expertise to
put into this you will find it very hard to do better than Lanczos
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanczos_resampling).  This is also IP
safe.  There is a lot of commercial interest in advanced interpolation
for use in large screen TVs so the possibility for patent issues is higher.

Support for animation would be very cool but may be too ambitious at
this time?  It would be far simpler to implement in a vector package
than in a raster package IMHO.

Thanks for your efforts!