List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugs in OOo and compatibility issues
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2009-02-24 8:59:39

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 09:42:01 Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> Hej!
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:43, Inge Wallin <inge@lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> > The market for ODF applications right now is OOo, then comes nothing,
> > then comes nothing, etc ^10, then maybe comes Google apps with crappy ODF
> > support, and far behind that comes KOffice.  If we don't make allowances
> > for OOo at this time, then we can just stop development right here and
> > now.
>
> Sounds very harsh, but I agree. I don't see any way around that. Apart
> maybe from fixing the bug in OOo...

Yes, I regretted that formulation afterwords.  Of course we shouldn't stop
development.  What I mean is that if we want users we have to bend our necks
a bit.

> > Of course this doesn't mean that we shouldn't make a fuss about it and
> > allow them to continue saving in buggy format.  We should save in the
> > correct way ourselves.
>
> If you do so will it still be possible to open the file correctly in
> (buggy) OOo? It would be rather annoying for many people otherwise,
> wouldn't it?

In this case I think it's just a saving bug in OOo. It forgets to save an
attribute.  There is no indication that it will load the file wrong if the
attribute is present. And yes, it would be very annoying if OOo couldn't load
it.

	-Inge