List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: File filters status...
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2009-01-19 16:24:10

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Cyrille Berger wrote:

> On Monday 19 January 2009, David Faure wrote:
> > Right now it may seem stupid, but if you look at it from a longer
> > perspective, relying on the internals of the applications means that any
> > refactoring breaks all filters. This has happened MANY times with the
> > kspread csv filter for instance.
> Except that sometime, the internals of an applications gives convenient way to
> manipulate the XML/Data (I wouldn't want to build by hand, for each krita
> filter, the layer stack ;) ). That said, libkoodf should give a good enough
> high level API for manipulating an odf file and transforming to/from it.

We might conceivable create a kind of library to do that, but frankly, for
an application like krita, having even one intermediate step between, say,
a big tiff file and krita's internals is going to hurt performance too much.

Our filters are fine, but the should be in krita/plugins :-). I gave that a try
last week, and I'm sorely tempted to check it in. There's nothing that creates
instability, _and_ we'll have fixed the Fedora-packages-krita's-filters-in-koffice-filters
problem! (http://lwn.net/Articles/315385/).

Boudewijn