List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: File filters status...
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-01-19 15:40:46

On Monday 19 January 2009, Pierre wrote:
> When I looked at the way the filters are implemented, I was really surprised
> to see that they were just expecting a KWord 1 file as input, so they can
> parse it and then convert it to the target file format.
> I don't really see any benefit to this system : why don't the filter directly
> access the applications internals ?

Because application internals change more often than the choice of a native file format :-)

Right now it may seem stupid, but if you look at it from a longer perspective,
relying on the internals of the applications means that any refactoring breaks
all filters. This has happened MANY times with the kspread csv filter for instance.

Also, converting from file to file allows automating the conversion using koconverter,
and allows chaining. Accessing application internals breaks all that.