List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice
From:       Urs Wolfer <uwolfer () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-12-30 19:48:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 30 December 2008 16:34:35 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 30. December 2008 12:12:18 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> > SVN commit 903269 by uwolfer:
> >
> > optimizegraphics: Losslessly optimized PNG and SVGZ files with "optipng
> > -o5" and "advdef -z -4". Reduced disk space: 5828KB (5MB)
>
> I guess we should do some cleanup of our docs dir; at least the screenshots
> are most likely quite outdated. I bet half these images will have to be
> redone.
>
> I would have appreciated very much if this was discussed before this commit
> was made; 5% gain (of files going into a bzip2 on make time) is not much

Of course that released tar.bz2 file are not much smaller (though bz2 does not
know how to remove obsolete information from png files..), but it also needs
less space on _every_ koffice (or KDE installation).

For icons it's also a small runtime optimization: less data needs to be read
from disk.

> and all our users with less-than-stellar connections will just not be able
> to get this commit at all.
> People from India have stated before that any commit > 2Mb just doesn't
> work with svn update.  This is a 100mb commit!

We have done that for KDE trunk before every major release (started IIRC at
3.5). Nobody objected so far there... It has also been discussed in a b.k.o
report.

I think SVN does just transfer diffs, even for binary files? Otherwise things
would not have been committed with my slow connection within 5 minutes... So I
think it's just about 6MBs for users to update. Please correct me if this
assumption is wrong.

> Sadly nothing can be done now, the damage has been done, but please keep in
> mind that big and/or disruptive commits should be at minimum discussed on
> the relevant project list.

I have not thought that this is critical in any way. I have done that step by
myself at least 3 times for whole KDE/ trunk and nobody objected.

Bye
urs