List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Community building - Sprint recap
From:       Andrew <andrew.dorrell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-28 14:40:13

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:09:37 am LukasT.dev@gmail.com wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > On Wednesday 26 November 2008, Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> >> ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> >> QUOTE LYDIA PINTSCHER
> >> (AKA NIGHTROSE)
> >> ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> >> Ok let's elaborate this a little. We clearly have the advantage of
> >> being a sexy project but there is more to it.

Personal opinion.. please forgive any ignorance in the following comment - I'm
new here and its not my intention to offend or start an argument.

A sexy project is not just one that has the right bells and whistles.  There
is significant appeal in working on a project that people will actually use.
To an outsider (me) Koffice has a few (related) problems in this regard:

1. It has a lot of sub-projects (not bad in itself but makes 2 harder)
2. It has not achieved a usable degree of stability and reliability (in my
experience)
3. It has relatively few users (at least of kword, kspread, kpresenter where
OOo alternatives are reasonably reliable)

Because it is rare for me to "enjoy" using office apps (means I am doing dull
work) I am very hostile to an office app that crashes or has incompatibilities
(as this extends my time doing dull work).  An office app becomes "sexy" (if we
must call it that) when it works simply and reliably.   Has worked for
abiword.

Just my 2c worth