List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Community building - Sprint recap
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-11-26 19:32:30

Hi Alex,

On Wednesday 26 November 2008, Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> QUOTE LYDIA PINTSCHER
> (AKA NIGHTROSE)
> ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> Ok let's elaborate this a little. We clearly have the advantage of
> being a sexy project but there is more to it.
Well maybe that would make the difference :/ ... We can see that within
KOffice too, krita (which is the sexiest apps with karbon) is attracting
three to four times more developers than other applications... And I say that
because all the points in what Lydia says are true for KOffice too... even if
we lack a little bit of organization in some area (like junior jobs).

And really I think it's a lot about sexyness. Lets see about the exemple of
the Desktop Shell, it's the most central place in a desktop environnement,
yet, it was slowly dying in the KDE3 time, no one wanted to care or think
about it, and yet plasma made is sexy again under the impulse of Aaron, even
before there was actual code, he managed to attract people to think and work
on the subject. The desktop shell was turned into a sexy apps, attracting a
lot of people.

#But an office suite isn't sexy !" I think this is wrong, true, Amarok is sexy
by definition, everybody (but my mom...) listen to music ! True, Krita is
sexy by definition, everybody (even my mom ;p) likes arts ! True an office
suite is about making boring work stuff. Which will makes our life very hard
to show it has a sexy thing. It doesn't matter, if we can find a way to show
that KOffice is *sexy*, it will attract people attention, and then, as long
as we stay friendly, and keep sticking to the 8 points they will come and
staty with us.

That is why I put a lot of value and hope in the work you are doing on KOffice
marketing with Inge, to make it sexy !
--
Cyrille Berger