List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    tool-options dockers
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-17 21:10:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

At the meeting in Berlin and today on IRC Casper and me discussed the
tool-options dockers.
Casper is the architect of the feature to have one tool being able to show
more then one docker.

We agreed that there are some showstoppers in that feature.  We basically
have two options; we either finish the feature or we schedule the feature
for 2.1.
I looked and found that the biggest user of the feature is the DefaultTool
docker (since a week or so). The other users can trivially be reworked.

Casper suggested he is going to put his koffice time into fixing those
showstoppers and make this feature ready for release.

Here are my showstoppers in dockers usage in a nice email (which is so much
better to archive then IRC);
a) Splitting the view causes various problems. I've seen two dockers being
shown (one in an external window). I've seen my window getting very wide.
etc. Seems that it reuses a previous config or something like that...
b) Closing a tool docker and switching tools should not re-open the
tooldocker.
c) A user set docker size is not honored.  Best seen if you have only two
dockers and use the splitter between them. Then switch tools and your sizes
are forgotten.
d) switching to a tool that has no second docker and then back to the one
that has a second docker has the effect that the second docker now is
really small. (best seen when floating)
I expected it to keep the size it was before.
e) The translated docker name is used as a key in the map of dockers. This
seems a bit fragile and also means we can't re-translate a UI.

Keep on rocking people! :)
--
Thomas Zander