List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KoCanvasBase::updateCanvas() and QPainter::boundingRect()
From:       "Florian Merz" <FlorianMerz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-11-07 21:29:01

Hi everyone,

I was working on the paragraph tool and trying to improve the text labels, but I have \
a chicken and egg problem when I'm trying to paint the text onto the canvas:

I need the bounding rectangle of the text to call updateCanvas() with the proper \
parameters. I need the QPainter to get the bounding rectangle of the text (via \
QPainter::boundingRect()). I need the KoTool::paint() method to be called to get a \
QPainter. And finally I need to call updateCanvas() to get the KoTool::paint() method \
to be called. But I cannot call updateCanvas() without the bounding rectangle...

The rectangle might change any time, so it's not a real option to store the size of \
the rectangle, and I really would like to have a bounding rectangle as small as \
possible. Is there a clean solution to this problem?

Thanks for your help,
  Florian