List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: visualisation of postal codes in marble shape via plugin?
From:       "Simon Schmeisser" <mail_to_wrt () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-09-25 21:19:50

Hi guys,

so to keep it short, yes you will need to fiddle around a little bit with your \
system. The marble flake shape ( or geoshape as I call it, lacking a better name) \
depends on koffice 2.0 alpha 9 or so and marble from trunk from about a month ago. \
It's not more up to date because I was on a bike tour for the last month. ( crossing \
the alps). So maybe next week I will manage to update it to work with the trunk \
versions of marble and koffice 2. But I also need to pack stuff for moving across \
Germany for studies, so my time is very limited. Afterwards I won't have internet for \
some weeks, so no updates then as well.

Anyway, here comes a short list of what it currently CAN do:
- display a map
- save the position, the zoom and the orientation
- load that
- navigate around with the toolbox
- undo for navigating
- search for a certain place ( no undo yet )
- save a fallback-image as well, which will get displayed in OpenOffice and others. \
(OpenOffice will only save the image, so don't use OpenOffice to edit files with maps \
in them if you ever want to change them again)

So there's not really support for displaying placemarks/dots whatever on them map. \
Except for a trick:

1. Go to the marble data folder
2. copy the map you want to use to a new directory
3. change the maps name and stuff in the .dgml file
4. create a .kml file with your coordinates in it. (have a look at the cities.kml \
file for example) 5. add this .kml file in your dgml file
6. in the marble flake shape select your new dgml file as map.
7. done

It's a hack, but it's the only thing that is currently working that i can offer

long term goal is of course to support this kind of workflow.
My next goal besides fixing some bugs and keeping it up to date is to allow to \
include a .kml file in the .odt/odp/od... and to display that. It will require some \
work on marble as well, so don't expect it too soon

Also one could write a marble plugin, which takes it's data from some \
spreadsheet-like stuff, which is propably what you are thinking of. Also Kross \
integration would be cool, but that's all very long-term goals.

So there you go, now you know about as much about the current situation of the marble \
flake shape as I do, and since I'm its creator that should be about everything.

Regards
Simon

-------- Original-Nachricht --------