List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: visualisation of postal codes in marble shape via plugin?
From:       "Simon Schmeisser" <mail_to_wrt () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-09-25 21:19:50

Hi guys,

so to keep it short, yes you will need to fiddle around a little bit with \
your system. The marble flake shape ( or geoshape as I call it, lacking a \
better name) depends on koffice 2.0 alpha 9 or so and marble from trunk \
from about a month ago. It's not more up to date because I was on a bike \
tour for the last month. ( crossing the alps). So maybe next week I will \
manage to update it to work with the trunk versions of marble and koffice \
2. But I also need to pack stuff for moving across Germany for studies, so \
my time is very limited. Afterwards I won't have internet for some weeks, \
so no updates then as well.

Anyway, here comes a short list of what it currently CAN do:
- display a map
- save the position, the zoom and the orientation
- load that
- navigate around with the toolbox
- undo for navigating
- search for a certain place ( no undo yet )
- save a fallback-image as well, which will get displayed in OpenOffice and \
others. (OpenOffice will only save the image, so don't use OpenOffice to \
edit files with maps in them if you ever want to change them again)

So there's not really support for displaying placemarks/dots whatever on \
them map. Except for a trick:

1. Go to the marble data folder
2. copy the map you want to use to a new directory
3. change the maps name and stuff in the .dgml file
4. create a .kml file with your coordinates in it. (have a look at the \
cities.kml file for example) 5. add this .kml file in your dgml file
6. in the marble flake shape select your new dgml file as map.
7. done

It's a hack, but it's the only thing that is currently working that i can \
offer

long term goal is of course to support this kind of workflow.
My next goal besides fixing some bugs and keeping it up to date is to allow \
to include a .kml file in the .odt/odp/od... and to display that. It will \
require some work on marble as well, so don't expect it too soon

Also one could write a marble plugin, which takes it's data from some \
spreadsheet-like stuff, which is propably what you are thinking of. Also \
Kross integration would be cool, but that's all very long-term goals.

So there you go, now you know about as much about the current situation of \
the marble flake shape as I do, and since I'm its creator that should be \
about everything.

Regards
Simon

-------- Original-Nachricht --------