List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Standalone KOffice for Linux, Please
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2008-08-26 11:40:18

John Jason Jordan said the following, On 2008-08-24 06:58:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:23:13 +1000
> Steven D'Aprano <steve@pearwood.info> dijo:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:10:35 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>
>>> However, I have to take exception to the comments above about Kexi. I
>>> recently needed to use data from a Microsoft Access database. OOo
>>> could not do it, but Kexi came to the rescue. That was the good part.
>>> The bad part is that Kexi does not yet implement all the capabilities
>>> of SQLite.
>>> OOo Base solves all my data needs
>> Presumably except for retrieving data from Access databases.
>
> Indeed, that is a limitation of OOo Base. However, the Windows version
> of OOo Base can read Access databases, and the Linux version (which is
> what I use) will be able to soon.

This is the most dangerous design decission during the OO Base development
IMHO. Have been mentionging this many times - on Windows it uses MS libs so,
the same as MSA does, so there's a lock in you won't remove anytime soon. Again.

We have unformal policy to standarize on open and portable 3rd-party
libraries. I can see value in this.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek