List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    porting to eigen2
From:       Benoît_Jacob <jacob () math ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2008-08-14 13:45:42

Hi KOffice folks,

since eigen2 is now in kdesupport I'm going to port existing eigen1-using code
to it. I would like to have your confirmation that it is still time to port
KOffice code (as you're now in soft freeze -- but porting to eigen2 isn't
adding features). Cyrille agreed to that a few weeks ago, but that was a few
weeks ago so I'd like your blessing again...

A second thing is that I remember that in KSpread we couldn't use eigen1 to
actually store the matrices as eigen1 was restricted to square matrices. So
the code looked like

if(matrix is square)
{
	create eigen1 matrix from it (copy)
	use eigen1 to make computations on it
}

Now eigen2 handles non-square matrices so it could be used right away for
storage, removing the need to make copies. I don't remember if this would be
a trivial change or not; in case it is, do you agree that I do it?

Cheers,
Benoit