List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Office Suite for my new BSD Operating System
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-08-12 17:48:55

Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke said the following, On 2008-08-12 17:55:
>
>> That might be a problem. I'm not sure how the licensing of templates
>> works, but it would surely be unethical and cause the community to not
>> like/respect you if you do not release your templates as Free (Libre)
>> Software, like the rest of KOffice is. And if you do, anyone will be
>> free to use them on any system.
>
> This has of course little sense. One can write any document and it dont have
> to be published of free in any way. Why to spread such statements?

Because a template isn't a document. To be useful, they must be licensed
such that you can include them in any documents you make without
restriction (in which case the "exclusivity" thing becomes hard), or
else there are shades of "we own any content you make" going on... and I
rather hope the latter *would* cause a loss of respect.

Maybe I should just say that anyone wanting to make "exclusive" content
with their own spin of Free Software makes me wonder if they're going to
obey the software license, or try to do something similar with the
software as well as the content.

So, yes, I suppose they could license their templates such that they can
only be used by a particular platform, but I'm not sure you could make
such licensing effective without restrictions that would be onerous on
any content created using them (and contrary to the spirit of Free
Software).

--
Matthew
ENOWIT: .sig file not available