List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: ODF Lists
From:       Roopesh Chander <roop () forwardbias ! in>
Date:       2008-07-30 8:50:44

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 02:54 AM, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008, Pierre wrote:
>>> In fact, this implies that headers are really a lot like paragraphs (the
>>> only difference being they need to be included in the TOC) and not at
>>> all like lists.
>> That's what I was saying one or two weeks ago, and that's why there is
>> something in KoTextBlockData now for headings.
>> But I stopped discussing and agreed putting it in a list because it seemed
>> to be simpler...
>
> It is. Just imagine the additional overhead to keep such headers in sync with
> each other. We need a "global registry" for headers to be able to access them
> rather fast anyway and that's what a list/tree does provide us already direct
> within the document...
> E.g. the toc atm needs to iterate though ALL blocks the document has just to
> determinate the headers and that sucks ages. So, we would need a easy way to
> remember+access+iterate through them anyway.

I dont understand how adding all headers to their corresponding lists is
going to help solve that problem. We would still have to iterate through
all blocks, I think, because we need to know the relative position of
blocks across different qtextlists (of different outline levels).

Let's say all headings were added to that level's KoListStyle, what
would be your algo then to generate the toc?